This recipe is part of The Wind Attack’s 2008 Thanksgiving Menu.
Vegan Maple Pecan Pie in Almond-Corn-Flax Crust
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 1 cup Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Maple Syrup
- 1 tbs Water
- 2 cups Raw Pecan Halves
- 3/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 2 tbs Arrowroot or Unmodified Potato Starch
- 1/2 cup Soy Milk
- 3 tbs Ground Flax Seeds
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Crust
For the Filling
Adapted from The Real Food Daily Cookbook
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the almond flour, flax seed and cornmeal in the food processor to mix. With the motor running, slowly add in the salt and cinnamon. Continue blending until the mixture becomes forms crumbly clumps, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Then slowly add drizzle in the water and maple syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9 inch pie plate and press it into the bottom and sides to form the crust. It is important to make sure the tops of the sides are not to thin, as that it the part that will be exposed to the most heat. Bake the crust for a 10 minutes, then promptly remove and set aside.
- Lightly toast the pecans by spreading them out on a baking sheet and baking them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Take one half of the pecans and chop coarsely, leaving the other half in tact.
- Whisk together the maple syrup, brown rice syrup and arrowroot in a medium saucepan, then bring up to a boil, stirring often. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir continuously for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Blend together the soy milk, vanilla, salt and flax seed until smooth, about a minute. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes. It will become quite thick.
- Whisk the soy milk mixture into the maple syrup mixture until well combined. Fold in the pecans until well incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust and a level out with spatula.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees until deep golden brown on top. The syrup may still be bubbling. Let cool thoroughly before serving.