This recipe is part of The Wind Attack’s 2008 Thanksgiving Menu.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pomegranate, Toasted Hazelnuts, Cocktail Grapefruit and Raw Sunflower DressingServes 8 as an Appetizer
- 4 cups Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Pomegranates
- 2 large Cocktail Grapefruits, segmented, cut into pieces
- 1 cup Toasted Hazelnuts, skins removed, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- Juice of 2 (Meyer) Lemons
- Zest of 2 (Meyer) Lemons
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbs Rice Vinegar
- 1″ chunk of Ginger, peeled
- Pinch of Salt
For The Salad:
For the Dressing:
* Food Processor
- To prep the Brussels sprouts, cut off the end of each sprout and peel off the first outer layer of greens and discard. Run the sprouts through the shredding disc of your food processor.
- To prep the hazelnuts, place on a baking sheet and place in a 350-degree oven for 15–20 minutes, until the flesh of the nuts (the part where the skin is missing) is golden brown. Transfer the nuts to a clean tea towel and fold into a bunch. Rub together to remove the skins. Allow to cool, then discard the skins and coarsely chop the nuts.
- Place the sunflower seeds in a jar and fill it with water. Close the jar and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight. Drain and place the seeds in the food processor.
- Blend the soaked sunflower seeds and remaining dressing ingredients together in your food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Toss the dressing together with the shredded brussels sprouts, pomegranate arils, grapefruit and hazelnuts. To serve, fill a bowl with the salad mix and overturn onto a plate to form a cake. Top with extra pomegranate arils, a peeling of purple carrot and edible flowers.